View Single Post
Old 11-23-2008, 12:05 AM   #116
MacAttack
283 Drama Queen

Re: The 283 Rebuild Begins

'Wall of Voodoo this morning on the heater blower motor replacement. Little, rusted fasteners can be a real b%*ch.

Took the cover off the heater box to check the core's condition and it was half full of leafs. After getting the small screws out - with much cussing and time - made sure the new motor's flange plate pattern matched and bolted the squirrel cage to it and put the side plug in the housing.

Because everything is painted flat black and it was an overcast day today - couldn't see well enough, even setting directly on the ground below the assembly with a drop light, so my kid came up with an idea to use a bottle of 'white-out' (the kind with the little pressure tip applicator) to mark white dots on the outside of the fan housing - indicating where the little sheet metal screw holes were.

Piece of cake after that.

The back two (over in the corner) have to be "felt" in and take some time.

If I ever do this again I'll put sheet metal studs in the bottom of this fan housing and simply use nuts to hold the fan motor in. I'm sure it was easy at the factory - in the initial installation, but serviceable - it is not.