View Single Post
Old 01-19-2009, 01:47 PM   #56
gavotter333

Re: Freshly rebuilt 350 burning oil and tappet noise.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WorkinLonghorn View Post
I've got news;if the noise gets louder when you give it gas it's not just a valve-train problem. See my 1st post.
If its not just a valve train problem then what is it. Major mechanical failure is pretty broad. My definition of major mechanical failure is a piston out of the block or pretty much what happened to the original engine where 3 cylinders had the exhaust valves mushroom into the pistons and really cause some serious damage. Bent lifters punctured pistons bent rods and twisted rockers. This was also a product of over 100 miles an hour in a 3 speed with a Mexican built crate engine that I had done many may trouble free miles in. I had to get out of the way of a semi that decided to start changing lanes into me on a 2 lane freeway. He did not see me and I had to absolutely floor it. If i had slammed on the brakes I would not be typing this message and there would be a 35 year old classic truck buried on top of me.

There is no water in oil or oil in water it runs at the correct temperature , even in the freezing temperatures here at the moment. The oil pressure is totally normal and there are no horrible clouds of black smoke bellowing out of the exhaust. 7 days ago it was ready to race. Then the timing was put back and oil was changed to a different type to try and combat the oil burning issue and then the rest happened. I replaced the spark leads as it could have been that simple. It is not.

You need to remember it still starts and will drive. And it still has plenty of kick. I am just not prepared to drive it as it all gets horribly noisy if you push it. I have looked at the valves and it looks like a flat cam lobe(although that would have happened in under 40 miles) or a collapsed lifter.

It could be anything however I will not know until we see if the lifter will work again. If it will not then likely the cam and if not that by that time it will be in a million pieces and more than likely back where it was built.

Fingers crossed.

Last edited by gavotter333; 01-19-2009 at 01:57 PM.
gavotter333 is offline   Reply With Quote