View Single Post
Old 01-24-2009, 01:52 PM   #115
gavotter333

Re: Freshly rebuilt 350 burning oil and tappet noise.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skirkpat View Post
alot of people run aggresive cams thinking that they can build more power with a " lumpy cam" , that is not always true. That lump that you hear is valve overlap at idle, at a certain point you begin to bleed off static commpresion wich translates into lost power, The real way to build power is in the head, and no that does not mean you and a dremel bit should "get it on" in the back of your garage with a set of heads , porting and polishing is not something that you will ever "stumble across" you need to buck up and have a pro do it!! Subtle mods like 3 angle vale jobs lightening your valve train, using the right length pushrod to optomize valvetrain geometry, are the wat that you make an egine perform optimaly...one of my close personal friends is a National top 20, 10.5 inch radial racer, these cars are running mid 7's in the 1/4...His advice, Bigger is not always better, and to big will kill power..always!!

Spend your money on heads, and then a rollerized valvetrain if possible, not stroker kits (unless you have a little coin left over).

I had over 3k in these heads, worth every penny.
I have to say that the biggest portion of this new motor was the heads. I think I got the manly conrods for next to nothing and I know what they cost. I saw the heads before they were installed and they were the read deal. I just cant wait to get it back and have a good old drive again. The cam was matched to the rest of it however I understand that bigger is not better all the time. Hence my choice to keep a 350 in this pup. Could have put something really abnoxious under the hood. Have a feeling that I will get a motor back with rolers and a milder cam. Ill just have to see where we go when Its torn down.
gavotter333 is offline   Reply With Quote