View Single Post
Old 01-24-2009, 08:27 PM   #6
Marv D
Registered Truck Offender

Re: need help putting a bracket SBC combo together

I'd really like to get you in touch with Jay Allen or LSM cams about the hydraulic roller. Jay and I worked through a scenario with a Morel hydraulic roller where you give the plunger ONLY 0.015" of preload,, same as a tight lash solid. You keep HEAVY springs and the valve action on one of his Hyd Roller cams is just as agressive as a solid. True the hydraulic roller is heavy, with the full mechanics of a solid roller and the full mechanics of a hydraulic lifter, and then add the oil. LOTS of weight and in a retro-fit application with link baars and all you have a pretty massive lifter. Your options are to run a hydra-rev package like AFR sells for their heads which is some, but limited help, or limit rpm's whick is counterproductive to making power with a smaller motor like this,,,,,,, or Jays scenario.
The last build for my truck I chose to use the AFR Hydra-Rev kit on the 383 in there now. Never again. I can do much better with the custom cam from Jay and heavier springs. Right now I can get 6600rpm OK, and it starts to fall off and ET deteriorates if I spin it 6800 or above. The Crane hydraulic roller cam I have now really isn't intended to make power up there anyways so valve/lifter bounce is just abuse for the sake of RPM.

Anyways, where I'm going is I'd have to respectuflly disagree with the thought of a hydraulic roller not being just as, if not more consistant than a solid roller at this level. But,,, again that's just my opinion and experience with them. I can show you a fistfull if 12.x second ET slips with the truck where the ET varies less through the day than the solid roller motor in the Nova. Two different animals for sure, but consistancy is consistancy.

When you're dead, it's only a problem for the people around you, because you don't know you're dead.
.....It's kinda the same when your STUPID.

I just did my taxes and reviewed my SS statement. Thanks to the current administration it looks like I will only have to work till noon on the day of my funeral.
Marv D is offline   Reply With Quote