View Single Post
Old 02-19-2009, 01:50 PM   #69
Twisted Minis

Re: Not so budget 3-link build

Honestly, it depends on a lot of things. I would prefer to always have the single pivot (rod end) on the frame side, because it is more predictable. On a 3-link, that single pivot sets your roll center. If it's on the frame, it's always in the same spot in relation to your truck. Therefore it will handle the same at all ride heights. When it is on the axle side, it moves with the axle, which moves in relation to the truck. So it rolls on a different axis depending on your ride height.

However, I will only build one with the rod end on the frame side if the truck has a two piece drive shaft. Otherwise, the drive shaft comes up too high, and forces you to mount the link higher. In this situation, it becomes difficult (or impossible) to achieve good suspension geometry because your desired link mounting points have been compromised. I see this a lot, and it often results in putting the Instant Center behind the axle, which is less than desirable.

It's funny you mention one being for show, and one more economical, because it is actually reversed. The Toyota in this thread, with the dimples and everything, is a daily driver truck, and everything will be covered by the bed. It just started with a higher budget range than most, as he didn't want basic work.

The truck I just posted a picture of, is ironically a "trailer queen". Doesn't really run or drive, isn't registered, and not at all practical. It won't have a bed floor, so everything will be seen. He wanted a more clean and stealthy look, which is why everything is understated. And also why I used the frame as an air tank. It reduces clutter.