View Single Post
Old 03-10-2009, 01:43 PM   #238
MacAttack
283 Drama Queen

Re: The 283 Rebuild Begins

The C10’s radiator shroud kicked my caboose on Saturday.

The placement of the radiator itself (after cutting the rubber mounts and using high-temp black silicone to fill any voids) went perfectly, all without tearing up or altering the stock "U" pieces riveted to the frame and as part of the upper support piece.

Then came the "Chicken or the Egg" routine.

My initial fan (the one from the straight six engine) is a nice S/S unit, with an extruded aluminum spacer that bolts to the water pump. Assembled it up and put a dial indicator on the pulley: Within .003 - good enough.

Put on the V-belt and adjusted the alternator. Perfect. Thanks for the belt number, BTW. Tried to slide the brand new shroud over the fan: D’oh! Same size as the opening. (Don’t ask me why I didn’t check first - cause I never do!)

Had a smaller diameter 6-blade fan from the Chevelle - with another spacer (not pressed into the fan) so we put that one up and check the run-out.

Shroud fit with about ¾" clearance all around. Messed around with the shroud mounting hardware and had to modify the very bottom of the two pieces of sheet metal coming off the radiator support - to make it fit.

Now here’s the fun part. I put four ¼" diameter S/S studs in the shroud to hold it on to the truck’s sheetmetal, already had the radiator in place and bolted in, and couldn’t get the shroud back in place - with nuts on the studs, because there was no way to tighten the nuts on the inside of the shroud housing.

Couldn’t point the studs inward on the passenger side because the battery tray gets in the way - and there’s no way to get your hand in past the fan, because with six smaller blades - from the top or the bottom approach.

Again: D’oh!

So my next idea is to put studs in the sheetmetal, use large fender washers to spread out the load on the sides of the shroud (because every one I’ve ever had starts cracking at the mount holes once the material gasses out and becomes more brittle), with some silicone in between - just for good measure.

Yes - I know: Too much drama, but the radiator’s lower hose spout wouldn’t allow me to put it in after the shr0oud was mounted.

Arrrrrrggggghhhhhh!