View Single Post
Old 03-23-2009, 12:47 PM   #55
kustombrad

Re: Project "49 No Buck$"

Here's what I did with the brakes. Starting with unbolting the factory bracket (sorry about the bad pic. I had to find one oneline 'cuz I forgot to get a pic.) I put the pedals off to the side and after sandblasting it clean, I mocked up the bracket with a late 60's Corvette Manual brakes master cylinder. I set it up so the master cylinder was about an 1/8" lower, because I wanted to drill the hole on the pedal rod lower to have a bit less brake pedal travel. I hope that makes sense. I wanted the pedal closer to the floor after it's all set up, instead of sticking out a foot. After cutting up the bracket, fit it with all my 3/16" metal plates and gussets, (I moved the master cylinder 1 1/2" closer to the frame than stock) I tacked them up and then had a friend of mine TIG it all together (I wanted it welded really well!) and then bolted the master cylinder up so I could fit it in place. Now I did something a bit different with the pedals, because of how I ran my exhaust. I ran it up high because I knew the truck was going to be slammed, but mounting the master cylinder in the stock location made it a bit to close to heat for my taste. I cut the upper part of the clutch arm off and lined both lower push arms up. I beveled the edges of both pivot parts (after sandblasing clean) and TIG'd both of those together as well also re welded the original stuff because after 50 years I figured I'd add a little insurance. I did this because I mounted the master cylinder an 1 1/2" closer to the frame and figured I would just re-engineer the original pieces to work for me. After I drill my hole in the clutch part of the lever that's a bit lower down than stock on the other side, I'll cut the old bracket off so it looks clean. Now I have my brakes like I need and still kept it cheap!!!
kustombrad is offline   Reply With Quote