View Single Post
Old 04-13-2009, 08:40 AM   #126
sdailey
The Few, The Proud

Re: Project - '69 4x4 named "Patches"

I'm still here working on the '69 here and there in between this crazy Georgia weather. We just had snow and tornado warnings in the same week.

Anyway, I found another good deal on Craigslist here locally for a new repop unstamped Chevy tailgate for $100. The guy was restoring a '69 and lost interest in it. I'm not sure if I'll keep it or sell/trade it for a stamped gate. Many thanks to Alan's Classic for forwarding the Craigslist link to me.

I also took on the task of rebuilding my steering gear box. Advanced Auto wanted $190 for a remaned one with $65-$75 core charge or $45 for a rebuild kit. So being that I had 2 gear boxes I figured I could rebuild one and if that went south I at least had one to use as a core still.

This shot was after I degreased everything and shot some etch primer on the housing.

Here's the part number for the rebuild kit from Advanced Auto.

Here's an article from 4-Wheeler magazine that I used for the rebuild. I didn't take pictures of every step in my rebuild because this article has some good ones already.

http://www.fourwheeler.com/techartic...ild/index.html

Here's a shot after final assembly.

Poor Man's paint booth

Of course, there was a honey-do list since I was painting already.

Then here it is installed.

It's small progress but progress nonetheless. At least that's what I keep telling myself.

Stay tuned.