View Single Post
Old 04-16-2009, 02:53 PM   #38
Yukon Jack
Post Whore

Re: Project "Might as Well Make it Right While I'm at It!"

I don't want to alarm anyone but yes, I've actually found/made some time to work on this again. About time, I know, I know. Since last working on it my website has gone down so all my prior pics are down until I figure that out.

Anyway, got the NP205 bolted up and now addressing the rear driveshaft. As you can see from the attached pics, the upper crossmember that the carrier bearing hung from is in the way and of course the driveshaft is too long now.

My local driveshaft shop was nervous about making a single driveshaft 61" long - I see from looking at Tom Wood's Custom Drive Shafts website that they will make a 3.5" driveshaft that is good for up to 70" with a maximum operating rpm of 3,000. That would be one option. The other is to just make the existing work - I'm inclined to do that as the carrier bearing and u-joints are basically brand new.

Right now I'm leaning towards moving the upper crossmember back and hang the carrier from it, then have the rear portion of the driveshaft cut to fit. That does increase the operating angle of the driveshaft, but I think it will be okay.

Last edited by Yukon Jack; 04-21-2009 at 08:48 AM.
Yukon Jack is offline   Reply With Quote