Thread: Custom bumpers
View Single Post
Old 05-05-2009, 11:16 AM   #25
Burt4x4

Re: Custom bumpers

I will share with you what I needed to do to make mine work.
Keep in mind this was 1999 and I have no clue how the bumper you ordered will mount up but it can't be all that different....

I mounted my KMA before I had a winch, once I got the winch I had to extend my bumper outward or cut my gril. I did NOT want to cut the gril.
In the pic above you can see the brown mark were the frame end (the piece you are missing) lined up on the bumper.

the hole you see here are the holes I made as the bumper did not come pre-drilled. I cut both ends off and re-welded longer plate so I could extend the bumper out to clear my gril.

Also keep in mind that I told KMA I ad a 3"bodylift so he made the bumper mount higher to close the gap between frame and body.

I made a xmember/brace to keep the front part of the frame solid, side pulling with a winch can bend steel.
In this pic you can see the factory rivits and spring hanger to give you an idea how much frame you are missing, I guess about 4" or so.
Also look to the far left, see that vertical gusset, I added that to keep the winch mounting plate from flexing. Just to the right of that gusset you can bairly see the weld were I extended the bumper mounts. The mounts extend all the way to the body mount, you can see just a bit of it above the frame by my 3"bodylift mount.

Here you can see the x-member I made w/winch mount gussets and the way the bumper mounts turn up to compensate for my 3"BL. (don't look at my crossover steering in this pic, it is the first setup I installed and I am not running it like that, not a good design)
Anyway hope this helps you figure it out...