View Single Post
Old 05-11-2009, 06:47 PM   #2
Marv D
Registered Truck Offender

Re: 1.6 rockers and powerband

I am not a fan of the XE line so take this with whatever weight you wish.
If you want a realistic cam recomendation, you really need to offer up a little more info. Need true compression ratio (if you truely easured and have it, if not please list the components,, piston #, deck clearance if known or if the block was decked, gasket, to go with the head cc). What intake / carb your running and some exhaust details.

but from the hip... with a 3000 stall and 3.73 gears , a 7000 rpm limit,, we already know a few limits. We want a cam that has a effective limit in the 2500-6800 range, The Iron Eagles are a little lame on the exhaust side. so we definately need a split pattern. If we knew compression we could make a good stab at 0.050" duration, then just need to know the max lift the springs will allow ( The IE's have a 1.42" spring and a .60 max lift as I remember ) but what is Valve-to-Piston clearance now with the .525 lift you have with the XE274 and 1.6 rockers??

The higher rocker ratio will probably do nothing if anything to effect the power band. It increases lift, which has a VERy small effect on the 0.050" duration. Enough to move the power band,, unlikely.

If you were to step up to the next hydraulic in the Comp flat tappet line the XE282H you would jumop about 6 degrees of duration to 240° @ 0.050" and slightly wider split pattern but still not enough lift IMO.

If you looking to step up to the real potential of those heads I would like to see AT LEAST .575 lift, and more like 0.050" off coil bind for something real close to .6" lift. Unfortunately that would mean a custom cam, or a roller. Have you considered the cost vs. power of going to a hydraulic roller? Lots of nice hydraulic rollers out there that will put lift in the sweet spot of those heads, and can be had in whatever duration you need to match your compression (once you have that info)

When you're dead, it's only a problem for the people around you, because you don't know you're dead.
.....It's kinda the same when your STUPID.

I just did my taxes and reviewed my SS statement. Thanks to the current administration it looks like I will only have to work till noon on the day of my funeral.
Marv D is offline   Reply With Quote