View Single Post
Old 06-25-2009, 08:51 PM   #736
bad6772
Official Site Guitar Shredder

Wink Re: project (sweet pea)

Quote:
Originally Posted by AJLChase View Post
I was just laying up late thinking about welding a new tail gate panel or tailgate to the bed itself and taking away all use of the tailgate and solidifying the entire box as one piece...and then I click on your build and saw that you did it....wow....crazy..to me at least. How did you do it? It looks great, and better then what I had in my mind!

I really just made alot filler panels I used 16 gauge for the most part...I did not have a latching tailgate...When I bought this bed...There was no gate...So I bought a new gate. and then the lower cups....Just to keep it level or make it level....On the inside I used 14 gauge angle iron...I cut the gate where the angle iron would set flush to the sides of the bed...On the outside after trimming my roll pan I used the left over metal from that to fill in between the gate and the pan I am assuming it was 16 gauge as well...just a lot of stich welding for that...As far as the side...I used 16 gauge and just made fillers for the gaps in the gate and the tail lamps and back up lamps.....The top radius parts are 16 gauge as well...Pretty simple once its laid out....I dig it...And I figure my truck was a truck for 30 hard years.....Its paid its dues IMO and the only thing that get put in the bed is coolers and chairs...Time to relax and enjoy just being driven]
bad6772 is offline   Reply With Quote