View Single Post
Old 07-23-2009, 07:51 AM   #20
lks dcvn

Re: Another Lks Dcvn Project - 1970 LWB for my Dad

Thanks for the compliments guys - for being my first time - it looks a lot better than I was expecting.

I went a panel at a time so I couldn't give you a true idea of how long it (the body work) took...

It took a LOT longer than I would have expected that's for sure. I kept going over it until I was good with it (being a perfectionist doesn't help you get done any sooner), but they do say that a paint job is mostly prep anyway.

Spots that were difficult to prime - not really - most of the stuff was easy to get to - it took me a little bit to get used to the gun and the primer coverage, but after the first day - I was good to go. It was a bit of a pain to get the top of the cab (I had to stand on the frame and get those spots since the bed was off by then, but I managed).

On my next project - I think I might prime the entire truck in that Master Series Coating Primer stuff - not sure how it would spray and sand out though...

Body work on each panel was at least 8 hours when I think about it - except the hood and the roof - they didn't have any dings to worry about. Those were a scuff and shoot type deal.

I thought pretty hard about if I wanted to do the body work since I had no idea what I was doing - but figured I would learn a new skill and save some money doing it myself.

Body work started on July 12th and still isn't done yet and I have not worked on it everyday. I would figure I have about 80-100 hours into it at this point. I have a few more spots to hit but it is almost done.

My neighbor is out of town for the next two weeks so I have some time to finish up the spots I want to, hit the whole thing with guide coat and see the result. Then I can readdress and go from there.

When he gets back from vacation we are heading to the paint supply store to pick up the color (white) and see how that goes. He mentioned that shooting color is a heck of a lot harder to shoot than primer - fingers crossed that it goes well.

Last edited by lks dcvn; 07-23-2009 at 07:57 AM.
lks dcvn is offline   Reply With Quote