View Single Post
Old 08-12-2009, 10:42 PM   #25
383Ram

Re: Crossbred, 454 into an '85 Ram

So while i tried to over complicate the GM alternator to the Dodge truck wiring, i thought...... why do i need to used the GM alternator, i can just use the Dodge one.

With that came the mounting. I hate the ugly look of an alternator sticking high in the air--as it does on most GM stuff. So i decided to lower it some. First step, see what worked as to where i could mount it. I found a lower bolt boss in the head to be suitable for the lower mount. Problem was it was a 7/16" hole and the alternator had a 3/8" hole inside the steel bushing pressed into the alternator. I didnt want to chance drilling the bushing as i feared it would get to thin. So i took a 7/16" bolt, and a long 3/8 bolt and welded the heads together carefully. Problem solved.

Now for the top mount. I found an old adjuster bracket in the garage. Bolted that to the alternator and looked to see what was closest around i could bolt to. I found another 7/16" boss on the intake side of the front of the head. So i used some threaded 7/16"rod as a stud, a piece of 1/2" steel pipe, and found some copper tubing to slide inside to bush the inside to the right size of 7/16" I trimed the adjuster bracket to size, and tacked it to the tubing, then removed and fully welded and ground smooth--and added the lightening holes, just because i can.

All thats left to do is add a front support onto the stud, this will go from a boss on the waterpump to the stud itself, its just a piece of steel flatstock with two holes in it, i made one already but its a bit off on my hole spacing so i have to make another. Enjoy the pics.

454/4 speed, '85 Dodge Ram hybrid build in progress

454, PP heads, Dual 500 CFM cabs, 'Vette manifolds. First time out---spinning for half track

Slooowww build thread: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=348050

Engine build thread at: http://www.chevelles.com/forums/showthread.php?t=326289
383Ram is offline   Reply With Quote