Thread: 400 4bolt main
View Single Post
Old 08-14-2009, 11:55 PM   #12
Marv D
Registered Truck Offender

Re: 400 4bolt main

I almost hate to do this but..... This motor was put together with decent components (except for them frickin KB hypereutectics) ,, in a 509 2bolt block @ +.040 for 409, studded top and bottom, cement filled to the frost plug holes, just at $1000 in machine work in the BLOCK, (sonic checked, line bored with new steel caps, decked, stress plate honed) Scat I-beam rods with the good bolts, Cast crank (which is the ONLY thing in this motor not destroyed BTW), AFR cnc 210's with a TON of work in them, (cause that's what he had) Lunati solid roller (264/276, .625 lift)

Figure it was making an honest 560HP propelling a 3200 pound Nova to 10.20's on a 9" tire, footbrakling and shifting a TH350 at 6700 (we wanted to save the motor so no hard revving LOL)

I refer you to the Roger Rule #1(
Quote:
only a rich man can afford to buy cheap parts, because only a rich man can afford to replace them over and over and over......

BTW, that's what we saw when we pulled the head. That KB hipereutectec turned back to the sand from whence it came. We didn't remove it,, it was dust in the pan.

Oh yes, and the big reason for that pic. See the big water passage hole in the deck above and between the bores. That's the holes to be pluged with pipe plugs and then milled flush. We had 2 sleeves in this block due to microscopic spiderweb cracks radiating from the head bolt holes to the edge of the bores. (a common thing in 400 small blocks, HAVE your block checked before you spend $0.02 on it). Anyways, the plugs add stress to the deck and we didn't want to add stress to a deck that already showed some issues is why these wern't plugged and milled.

When you're dead, it's only a problem for the people around you, because you don't know you're dead.
.....It's kinda the same when your STUPID.

I just did my taxes and reviewed my SS statement. Thanks to the current administration it looks like I will only have to work till noon on the day of my funeral.

Last edited by Marv D; 08-15-2009 at 12:09 AM. Reason: add info
Marv D is offline   Reply With Quote