View Single Post
Old 08-15-2009, 01:37 PM   #53
Frizzle Fry

Re: How much to cut cups?

Quote:
Originally Posted by N2TRUX View Post
Focus dude. Too many projects usually end in lots of unfinished business. Don't let things distract you.....ooh, shiney object...uh what were we talking about?

Maybe some of the experts that do tons of installs will chime in here. If you look back in this thread, I asked the question of "Why cut your cups?". Not to be sarcastic, I just don't see the advantage.

The response was to allow you to go lower, which I disagree with in theory. On my old 82 Blazer with stock ART cups which I think are 1.5" and a 28" tall tire I could lay the A-arms on the ground. You can not get any lower with out crossmember mods or replacement. The ground is the ground, period.

Ok, so maybe cutting the cups allows more air pressure at lower heights so you can cruise lower. I still don't see that as a good choice as it will demand higher bag pressure at a "reasonable" ride height.

I must be missing something, cause it sure is popular.
You had 1.5" cups. The SD cups have to be cut down to 1.5". I have 29" tires with 1.5" cups (soon to be tube arms...) and my arms do not touch the ground. So if I had not cut my cups I would be several inches higher in both ride height and full drop.
Frizzle Fry is offline   Reply With Quote