View Single Post
Old 08-18-2009, 12:38 AM   #11
Pyrotechnic

Re: 4.8 V8 with a Manual

If that truck has had oil changes every 3000, there should be plenty of life left in that motor. The useful life of these newer engines is around 250,000 if they are cared for, less or more depending on condition.

I have a feeling GM didn't want to put the heavy duty granny geared truck transmission into the half ton trucks. The 5 speed behind the 4.8 is a light duty truck transmission, and with the 4.8's short stroke, it doesn't have a bunch of torque down low like the 5.3 does which is better for the lighter transmission. Similar to the 3rd gen F-Body how the T5 couldn't be had with the TPI 350, only the 305.

I never understood why there hasn't been a strong half ton truck transmission. You either have a weak transmission that can't be offered with the largest engine, or you step up to a brute strength granny geared 3/4 or 1 ton transmission. No middle ground. Give us a half ton transmission that has good ratio's, shifts quickly, and is strong. Actually I do know why we don't have these......automatics are where the bulk of sales and money is at.