View Single Post
Old 08-18-2009, 09:28 PM   #144
Bruce88

Re: It’s Just A Pickup

A warm day, a cold beer, and watching paint dry
Time to take time and smell the roses, or is that paint and the feeling of the accomplishment even if it’s only a small step.

I dabbled in painting a whole car at home and prefer not to do that now, but that still leaves me with all the small parts that need painting. I’ve seen some outstanding paint jobs done in one car garages and even outside and then seen some paint jobs done in paint shops that are not even worth the cost of the material. Some would blame the paint or how it was applied, as far as I’m concerned the majority of many of the problems are in the prep before the painting. The best paint can not overcome a poor prep.

Some of the most caw man problems with rattle can painting I’ve seen are, after the parts are clean, handling the parts and getting body oil on them, not mixing the paint enough, and cramping of fingers and hand when spraying. The first two are easy to handle always wear latex gloves during cleaning and handling before painting and when you think that you’ve shaken the can long enough shake it some more (you can’t over mix it).

The finger and hand cramps have been hard to overcome in the past (something you just had to live with) until now. I’ve tried other spray can handles in the past and found that they didn’t hold the can good and was awkward to hold and use. The Comfort Grip by Rust-Oleum is a definite improvement and actually works pretty good. Of course there is always room for improvement like I would like to see a professional spray can handle made out of metal but that probably expecting to much, until that day this handle will do.

I always like to gather enough small parts together to use one or two complete cans of spray paint. Just a pet peeve not wanting any leftover small quantities of paint in the can.

Name:  Paint.jpg
Views: 12365
Size:  94.0 KB

Two empty spray cans, two empty beers, and another small step forward in the build. It’s always nice to not rush things like paint and enjoy the breaks.