View Single Post
Old 09-25-2009, 05:58 PM   #223
hgs_notes
GEARHEAD

Re: Junkyard Jimmy Super Low Buck Build Thread

Didn't get much of an assist here today, but I figured it out. I found one of my spare rotors out in the garage, from the green Jimmy and found the thickness stamping. You gotta wonder about these manufacturers sometimes. The stamping or actually, casting number is on the back side. So you would have to take the rotor off to find the info. Anyway, mine are ok. They wouldn't be hurt by a resurface to clean them up, but there is no grooving or major defects in them, and the thick ness is good. So on the front, I'll replace the driver side pads and clean 'em up a bit.

The rear brakes, not so good. I finally beat the drums off. I found that if you use a persuasive hit with a rather large hammer on the outer edge, it helps break 'em loose. Once they popped loose, no problem.

Inside was not pretty. The passenger side had a rodent nest in it. The drums were toast, even before I busted them up a bit with my persuasive hammering. The cylinders are both rusted. The driver side looked as if it was stored in water off and on over the past several years.

I got them tore apart now, except for the cylinders, which are soaking in PB blaster on the brake line fitting. Hopefully they come apart ok, the lines are dirty, but don't look severely rusted.

Time to start searching for parts.
hgs_notes is offline   Reply With Quote