View Single Post
Old 10-29-2009, 11:24 PM   #42
Thadious

Re: 53gmc build! With pics!

I just found that keeping the engine in the stock location was just a little too close for comfort and any future work between the front of the block and the rad. I will be going with an electric fan as well, but moving it back that little bit further just made it more "comfortable" to build on.

Basically what I did was replate the original bolt holes on the frame with 1/4" steel plate, locate the new holes 3 1/2" back, weld the nuts to the backside of the plate then weld the plate in place. After that I skirted all around the mounting plate in 1/8" to close it all in and add rigidity, then just cleaned it up, mounted the new mounts to the block, and lowered it in place.

Then moved the trans crossmember back 2 1/2" and cut 1" out of the centre mounting bracket for the trans, rewelded it back up and bolted the 700r4 back into place... it all aligned right up.

I ended up taking about 8 3/4" out of the front half of the driveshaft (machined out the welds, cut the section out, reweld, remachined and balanced) since I started with an extended cab version.

Holler if you have any other questions.

Cheers,
Ted.

Aut viam inveniam aut faciam - I will either find a way or make one.
If you don't have time to do it right the first time, when will you...

My new build - https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/...70#post8958970
Thadious is offline   Reply With Quote