View Single Post
Old 11-04-2009, 03:52 AM   #116
markeb01
Senior Enthusiast

Re: What did you do to your truck today?

Quote:
Originally Posted by 63deluxfleet View Post
hey i used to live in chicago for a few years and here they salt the roads, my question is how does your truck stay rust free??? they tried that non eroding snow melt stuff but its all the same here it still rusts cars...my 02 neon has cancer in the rear quarter lol
On mine specifically, it started life as a rust free California 1 family owned truck, originally purchased by a retired guy that basically used it to go fishing locally. It stayed that way until we moved to Idaho. Within 1 year, the minor paint chips turned into the measles which broke out all over the painted surfaces. So we tore the truck completely apart and painted the chassis and bottom of the body with POR-15. Some places got an additional layer of acrylic enamel and/or 3M Body Schutz. Sadly, I reshot the exterior using the old school process of lacquer which doesn't hold up very well to abuse. I had the rockers replaced with NOS originals a few years ago, and a couple of minor spots on the doors welded up. Then recently I repainted it with nice thick enamel tractor paint.

For the last 6 years I lived 2.5 miles from work, so it didn't see many miles any more, particularly in the winter. Now that both the truck and I are retired, it only gets used for fun or to bring home something too big to fit in the car. The plastic Honda does almost all the rest of the winter driving. If I used the truck all the time during the winter in this region, it would definitely get rusty.

From what I've read magnesium chloride is a salt just like sodium chloride. It's suppose to be less corrosive on metal, but the offset is it's suppose to be harder to get off than salt, resulting in even more rust.