View Single Post
Old 11-10-2009, 10:05 PM   #20
MrTucker

Re: What enging do you want in your truck?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hottrucks View Post
tucker thats an answer I can live with but

please post what these engines are out of....my truck is on the heart transplant list
the 6.0L (about 325 hp stock) out of a late model Chevy/GMC truck/tahoe/suburban/etc is ideal. a simple head swap can net you around 500 hp. Problem is they are more expensive and harder to come by.

the 5.3L (about 300 hp stock) out of the same trucks is popular because they are everywhere and you can pick them up cheap. I've seen engine/tranny/wiring harness packages on ebay for around $2k, even cheaper for higher mileage engines (like 70k miles).

Also, engines later than 2004 (I believe) use the drive by wire system, which eliminates throttle linkages.

Package all of this up and you get an old classic truck, with a high tech drive train that has loads of power, runs very smoothly, has fuel injection, and gets decent fuel mileage - all for less than the cost of a crate engine with equal horsepower. Throw in an aggressive cam and you'll have a hell of a sounding motor that will run you 200k miles no problem.

Last edited by MrTucker; 11-10-2009 at 10:11 PM.
MrTucker is offline   Reply With Quote