View Single Post
Old 11-26-2009, 11:55 PM   #26
sailed2japan
Jonny

Re: Performance brake parts? I wanna stop!

I have 285/75r16 (33x11.5) on my 3/4 ton and it will lock them up if you hit them hard enough. I've also pulled a trailer with a half ton long bed on it and no trailer brakes and didn't have any troubles. It didn't stop on a dime, but definately stopped well enough to be safe going down the road.

I am running hydroboost and crappy duralast pads (I was broke and needed brakes). I'd say that any of you who hate your brakes either have a problem of some kind in your sytem or need to switch to hydrboost.

If you have a D60 and want upgrade your brakes with off the shelf parts, you can swtch the outers to Ford and from what I've been told they have twin piston calipers and larger rotors.

Edit: I forgot to mention, If you switch over to rear discs you also need to install a disc/disc master cylinder and proportioning valve. I'm sure you guys who have done it know this, but since I hadn't seen it brought up in this thread before I figured I would. Now as far as where to get one, I don't know. I know that the 88-98 3500HD's (the ones with a straight front axle) used hydroboost and had a disc/disc set-up with a either a Dana 70hd or 80 which it was illudes me at the moment. You may be able to use that master with the 73-87 booster. this is an avanue I was looking to explore.
A veteran - whether active duty, retired, national guard or reserve is someone who, at one time in his life, wrote a blank check made payable to 'The United States of America', for an amount of 'up to and including his life.' That is Honor, and there are way too many people in this country who no longer understand it."
-AEC Hundley USNR

Last edited by sailed2japan; 11-27-2009 at 02:07 AM.
sailed2japan is offline   Reply With Quote