View Single Post
Old 12-20-2009, 11:37 PM   #22
joe231

Re: NF65 new lwb build

sorry Jon, I feel that I need to correct a couple of your points

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonzcustomshop View Post
the 2004r is the exact same size and shape of the turbo350.
not exactly, the shape is quite different, but the overall length is very close to the TH350 with a 6" tail shaft. The 700-R4 is very close to the overall length of the TH350 with a 9" tail shaft. But the location of the trans mount is different between all of them so you will need to move the cross-member to the correct location

Quote:
the 200 has a deeper first gear than the 700, and is why some are starting to use beefed up versions of the 200 in performance applications.
with some mods the 200 will hold up to big power, without they are fine with a basically stock,lightly modded sbc/bbc
700R4 has a 3.06:1 first gear compared to the 200-4R's 2.74:1 first gear.
the reason many prefer the 200-4R over the 700-R4 is the closer 1st to 2nd gear gap and slightly more of an over drive (200-4R has a .67:1 compared to the 700-R4's .70:1)

Quote:
I had heard that 700's don't like big torque, and it will eat them up after a while...I don't know about the 200's
The 700-R4 can be built to hold 650HP and 600 Ft. Lbs of torque where the 200-4R seems to top out around 450Hp (not sure of the torque). These are numbers I have found online, in talking with a local trans shop that builds these trans for drag racers, he has told me the sky is the limit, all it takes is money

just for the record, this is what I have learned from my own research......How accurate is it? I have seen the same info from many sources so I believe the info is pretty close to spot on.

The TV cable adjustment and the proper angle on the carb bell crank is critical for a long lasting transmission. The hook up for the lock-up converter is as simple as running some wire along with a vacuum switch and a brake switch with 2 sets of contacts.