View Single Post
Old 01-25-2010, 02:10 AM   #150
mosesburb
I had a V-8

Re: The Story Of A Suburban (Lots Of Pics)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ackattack View Post
Wow man, WOW! Just finished reading this whole build thread.

I've been talking to my wife about building a cummins powered suburban after I finish my 68, and tonight before we went out to eat I told her I was reading about my "burb.

Makes me want one so bad now. I think I'd do a few things slightly different (just personal taste) but you've defiantly done a top quality build.

Also reading this, I kinda see what I'm in for and also makes me consider the Duramax a little more (assuming fitment is easier) the other bonus is the 6 speed alison tranny that I'd like to have.

Again awesome build!
Thanks!! I'm not too sure a Duramax would be easier--maybe, but you end up with an electronic diesel which, in my opinion, negates much of the benefit of the conversion. Cool?? Yes, but I don't have the appreciation for the electronic units. The bomb-proof simplicity of the mechanical diesel is what swayed me to do this conversion.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBeast View Post
I am impressed with your setup, that tie rod is nice and beefy, just curious though why didnt you go for a high steer setup?
Thank you. As for the no high-steer there are two reasons. The first is it seems that the guys who have high steer break knuckles more frequently than low steer guys. Might not be relevant, but it seems to be. Also, I am not rock crawling with this thing so I really do not have the need for it. But the second and most important reason is I have an eleven quart oil pan in the way of a crossover draglink. High steer arms and tie rod--not a problem, but no room for the draglink without some real funky bends in it. Also, this truck drives great in the stock configuration, so I am inclined to stick with it. I did consider it though.