View Single Post
Old 02-12-2010, 02:26 AM   #13
RBC67

Re: It rubs the wax on the paint....advice.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nuke1 View Post
Hey slick, in the industry We have always waited 6 months to wax a car, you can cut and buff it with polish vbut not wax, it seals in the catalysts, causing your paint to dull faster and fade quicker. Just my experience.
Wow!!! I've never heard that before??
I've worked developing and testing urethane paint for quite a few years.(20yrs.) I'm currently running the application testing lab. We look at everything we can to ensure the catalyst once it's crosslinked it's done. The reason we say 21 days is for the clear coat to reach max properties.

By using catalyst(Isocyanurate) in formulations is to control things like cure-time as well as make the paint stronger, more resistant to things like compounds, chip resistant and UV damage.

Can you let me know what paint system you are using so we can test it.
Is it BC CC, single stage or acid cat...etc.?

We have all the testing and weathering equipment so we can get 10 years of weathering data in about 2 weeks. If it is a system that is currently in the market I should have all the data without having to test.
This would be a good topic for the paint section.

Slick67: Let me know what paint you used (PPG, BASF, SW, Akzo) and I'll let you know if you will run into any issues.
Sorry to go off track!! I Don't want to give you any bad advice.
67 RS/SS G-Machine

http://www.hubgarage.com/mygarage/RBC67
RBC67 is offline   Reply With Quote