View Single Post
Old 02-21-2010, 08:21 PM   #6
Marv D
Registered Truck Offender

Re: Converter stall check

I agree dumping the AFB carb in favor of a 3310 or even a 4150 will be a good performance move.
Rip, the edelbrock RPM cam he's running is 234° / 244° @ 0.050, .488 / .510 lift, ground on a 107 CL with 112° LSA

I ran pretty much that same package with a B&M 2400 shelf stock convertor and it was a SLUG off the line. Like MT71 said,, around 3000ish it would come to life and even being a hydraulic,, would still be pulling at 7000-7200. It's just NOT a low end cam. I picked up nearly 1/2 a second switching to a Midwest 4800 converter, then came a back half, and then 5.43 gears and, and, and,,,, and well we know how these things are,, a constantly evolving work in progress.
But converter and carb was the two biggest changes in motor that REALLY woke things up. After 3 or 4 months and buying the Edelbrock calibration kit, and additional rods and jets not in the kit, and fighting with the lean flat spot caused by the peepoor accelerator pump design,, I gave the stinking thing away and put a Prosystems 750 on it. WORLDS of difference in throttle response, and tunability,, and it didn't really need any tuning. I ended up one jet leaner on the secondary than just straight out of the box.

So anyways,,, I would go for the carb first. The if it isn't more responsive enough for you on the low end, throw some gear and more stall at it. You will be peeling chunks of Yohokama off the rear bedside

When you're dead, it's only a problem for the people around you, because you don't know you're dead.
.....It's kinda the same when your STUPID.

I just did my taxes and reviewed my SS statement. Thanks to the current administration it looks like I will only have to work till noon on the day of my funeral.
Marv D is offline   Reply With Quote