View Single Post
Old 02-23-2010, 07:39 AM   #12
Dan Bowles
AD Addict

Re: Brought this home..1954 1 ton

Steve, I'll still disagree with you. I've got a 1 ton with the same outer dimensions of the fender. They are in all respects the 1/2-3/4 ton fender BUT the opening for the tire is an inch bigger. I don't care what books say. I've held a tape measure from one side of the opening at the bottom to the other on two sets of fenders on two 1 ton panels and got something like 31 1/2" on one and 30 1/2" on the other.

I actually brought this up on Stovebolt and had the same discussion with you there. I've had 3 1 tons. 1 was a dump truck that started as a cab and chassis with the small fenders. The other two are panels and I'm pretty sure they both had the bigger cut outs. I'd have to pull the numbers to see what plant they were made in.

In any case, if you find 1/2-3/4 ton fenders for replacements, they'll bolt on with no issue.

I work in automotive and parts books often show replacement part numbers. If GM didn't want to stock two different fenders for service, they'd only show one, especially if they are backwards compatable. My jack is shown going back to about 1997 because my competitor went bankrupt in 2006 and could not supply service parts and mine have been tested on the same platforms.

Last edited by Dan Bowles; 02-23-2010 at 07:48 AM.
Dan Bowles is offline   Reply With Quote