View Single Post
Old 02-23-2010, 05:21 PM   #16
Dan Bowles
AD Addict

Re: Brought this home..1954 1 ton

No name calling going to happen here. I'm not out to make this personal. I'm out to inform people because I seriously have had fenders I was convinced are the same NOT be and I don't want others to make the same mistake.

The dump was my '53 1 ton that is in the gallery over on Stovebolt. I sold it almost 10 years ago so I'm not sure what it was.

The panels are both 1 tons, 1 is a '49 and the other a '50. I've still got the '49. The '50 is in NJ.

All 3 are Chevy trucks. I, sadly, have not had the right opportunity to own a GMC but when I do, it will be a '54 Suburban with a chrome grille because THAT is the real cats meow.

I don't know what stock wheels they came with but I do know there is another 1 ton panel in the town I live in that has the smaller openings.

My intent is to actually take a panel of some type, put it behind the opening and mark it for BOTH sets. The '49 front clip is off and on the ground right now so it'll be easy but I don't have any other 47-53 fenders, the rest of mine are '54/55S1 because that's what I've got.

I'm not worried about an old guy who bought one new, he might not have seen the difference without staring at it. It's kind of like the F1-3s or 4s of the same era. Same fender stamping, just bigger openings.

As for the dies coming from the same shop, that I doubt. And if they were, it wasn't the day of CNC where they were all duplicates.

I live near Ididit and guys there have told me that some columns, specifically the 60-66, don't have mount holes from them because there were too many different sets based on all of the different plants. They mocked up their first '57 Bel Air column on a parts car and then transferred it to the boss' car only to find it didn't fit because of the firewall and dash didn't line up the same.

I've used lots of different tapes but I've compared A to B using the same tape before. I sold the '52 3100 that was next to the '50 3800 but did those the same day, same tape, same "time" same way and couldn't believe it. I have had 1 person agree with me, they said it was something to do with 18" wheels on the 1 tons.
Dan Bowles is offline   Reply With Quote