View Single Post
Old 02-23-2010, 06:13 PM   #17
Steve@OldSub.com
Cancer Survivor in the making.

Re: Brought this home..1954 1 ton

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Bowles View Post
I, sadly, have not had the right opportunity to own a GMC but when I do, it will be a '54 Suburban with a chrome grille because THAT is the real cats meow.
I agree. This is mine.

It came from the factory with an open driveline so if it were a Chevy it would be a '55 1st.

Quote:
I have had 1 person agree with me, they said it was something to do with 18" wheels on the 1 tons.
My Suburban is parked about 30 feet from my dually 1-ton that is pictured in my avatar. That truck has the 18 inch wheels. If it stops raining this afternoon I'll measure the two.

These are both GMC's and both the '54/'55 1st type. The Suburban was built in Oakland and I believe the 1-ton was also made in Oakland but don't recall with certainty.

I've never seen GM 18 inch wheels of that era that were not dually type and in those years there were no factory built dually panels. The standard wheels on a 1-ton single wheel truck were 17 inchers. But of course this knowledge comes from the same kind of documents my part numbers do.

Quote:
As for the dies coming from the same shop, that I doubt. And if they were, it wasn't the day of CNC where they were all duplicates.
Really. I realize there was no CNC back then, but would expect the best way to assure interchangability would be to make dies in a single shop with a single set of templates. But I'll admit I don't know how it was done back then or even how they do it now...

Steve@OldSub.com
OldSub.com . MaxwellGarage.com . OldGasTowRigs.com

Last edited by Steve@OldSub.com; 02-23-2010 at 06:14 PM.
Steve@OldSub.com is offline   Reply With Quote