View Single Post
Old 03-04-2010, 12:07 PM   #5
piecesparts
Parts and more parts

Re: bare alum. protection ???

The billet dash kits that you purchase from many sources (such as LMC) are NOT sealed in any way. They are billet material and they are either finished in a "Brushed" finish or a "Polished" finish. Polished is not that hard to take care of, you can polish it anytime and then use a metal protectant on it to keep the dirt and water spots out of it. I use stuff from Wizards products. It is called "Powerseal" and it works great on my polished billet. There many other brands on the market. If you have brushed aluminum, then the sealants doe not work well with the grainy finish. I have billet dash pieces in my 84 truck and it has been there for many years---I have not done anything but wipe the dirt off of it with window cleaner. A little WD-40 sprayed on a towel and wipe that onto the metal works to keep the pores from soaking up moisture.

I have made enhancement pieces from aluminum strapping or metal plates. purchased from a hardware store and I made them up in both polished or brushed finishes. I have not had any issue with these pieces and they are under the hoods of my trucks, where there is moisture and dirt.