View Single Post
Old 03-05-2010, 11:41 PM   #6
leegrady

Re: CH465 tranny removal

Just change the gear oil.

Use 1/2 drive impact swivel sockets and long extensions with an impact gun to remove the transmission to engine bolts.

Replace all clutch parts, not just the throwout bearing.

Inspect the snout on the transmission that the throwout bearing slides on. It must not be flawed, so the throwout bearing slides smooth without woobles or hangups.

Trans removed is a good time to remove and renew the rear engine seal.

Machine the flywheel, and check the starter ring gear for defects. Torque flywheel bolts to manufacture spec'.

Make sure you install the new friction disc in the right direction.

Do a close visual inspection of the clutch linkage pivot ball screwed into the side of the engine block. I usually just go ahead and replace these to prevent the old one in service to break, and be a real pain to extract.

Clutch adjustment must be one (1) inch of free play at the pedal so that the throwout bearing comes to a complete stop when the clutch is not being applied.

Once I had this truck, and at idle when I'd apply the clutch the oil pressure light would come on. The cause was worn crankshaft fillet on #1 main. The throwout bearing would push on the back of the crank and because of crankshaft end-play oil would leak by the bearing. Anywho, keep those holeshots below 7k.

Last edited by leegrady; 03-05-2010 at 11:53 PM.
leegrady is offline   Reply With Quote