View Single Post
Old 03-09-2010, 12:55 AM   #144
samwise68
FarmBoy.

Re: '67 Chevy II Build - Betty.

In an effort to actually get something done on my car, I've made progress!

I broke down and bought some links for my panhard. It's a top link for a 3-point hitch for a tractor and implements. But, ya know what, it was fairly cheap and it'll work. And honestly, thats what matters to me.

So I cut my drag link off.

I then cut the link part of the ends off, so I could weld the ball and coupling to a 3/4 inch bolt. Then I welded a 3/4 inch nut on to my drag link, and voila, an adjustable panhard!

Only one end adjusts, the other is just welded solid. However, I have roughly 4-5 inches of adjustment on the threads. it goes from roughly 39 inches to about 44 inches. So, that should give me more than enough adjustment if and/or when I adjust my rear ride height.

Now I just need to cut two stirrups for it to mount on the plate I have bolted between my axle and drivers side trailing arm, and then design the upper panhard mount/upper shock mount bar..unit...thing.

I'm thinking a crossmember with the upper shock mounts welded on to it, of course. then, having a perpendicular piece of tubing drop down off the frame rail and this crossmember (braced of course) that would act as the upper mount of the panhard. It'll either have a slot for adjusting the panhard with ride height, etc, or just a series of holes to move it up and down. As long as it's pretty close to parallel, I don't think it'll be an issue.

And that's where it stands as of now. I'm hoping tomorrow I can get my lower and upper mounts figured out, and then it's on to bigger and better things after some welding and grinding.

I'll keep you all posted.

-Sam.

Quote:
Screw patina... it's a beater...Beaters are cool.
my build thread - Project Homebrew:
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=242993
samwise68 is offline   Reply With Quote