View Single Post
Old 03-14-2010, 10:33 PM   #211
hgs_notes
GEARHEAD

Re: Over 25 Years Later, Finally My 71 C-10 Truck Build

Every time I do something on my truck lately, I learn something. I'm learning how to put on filler and make it look fairly smooth. Learning what different products to use for the various situations. I've used panel adhesive, epoxy primer, my own HVLP spray gun, a little bit of hammer/dolly work. I've replaced the welder and used mine to fill holes, and fix something already, etc.

Today I learned to not wear loose clothing when spraying paint/primer. I got a little sanding to do. No biggy, but lesson learned. I also learned a little more about my spray gun. There was a part I did not remove for cleaning because it just wouldn't budge to remove it. While spraying tonight it was clogging every so often. Nothing serious for primer work, but still annoying. So I put a little more muscle into it and got it out and found a bunch of old dryed primer in there. I also found that an air channel had cast flashing blocking the hole. So I cleaned it out and learned another lesson.

Hopes these lessons help someone else out.

Todays progress: both fenders primered inside and out. Cowl panel primered on the back side. Inside of cab and firewall primered a second coat. It's looking pretty good. Have a couple small things to fix on the cab yet. Will need to do a second coat on the outside of one fender, clean up the topside of the cowl and prime. Next big jobs will be the doors, still waiting for parts delivery for those.

Here is where I filled 3 holes that were drilled for something. The welder worked great. There were 2 others on the wheel arch I filled also.
hgs_notes is offline   Reply With Quote