View Single Post
Old 03-23-2010, 01:10 AM   #41
tasian

Re: What do you use on your windows?

alright so i wouldn't say im a car detailer in anyway but i was a professional house window cleaner and when you clean 60+ windows inside and out everyday in the cali heat you learn a few things so for me theres only one way to really clean the windows on my vehicle it might take a little time but i've never been out done

first off you need the right tools to get it done the best you can with as little work
you want to start with a good squeegee and im not talking about the kind they have at the gas station(gonna need a small one for the windshield since it has a curve to it)

microfiber towels work the best but i prefer the ones you get at janitorial supplie stores as they have towels that are made tighter then the ones you say use for cleaning your paint etc they have a lot less lint and also pick and hold water/soup up better

other then that one of the few things most people don't know is steel wool (you can use up to a 00 grade just fine but best to use 0000 as others said but i tend to go with 000)it works great to get rid of any streaks left over

and then as far as the cleaner at the janitorial stores they have some stuff that is alright but what i have found to work the best is none other then dish soup (dawn is my fav) i also like to mix it pretty strong because when it comes down to it the stronger you mix it the more its going to streak right? Wrong(to a point to much isn't good) what is left over when you are done is going to show and there shouldn't be anything left over when you are done

so i just use a wet towel(or a shammie for the people that have them) scrub it down good then go ahead and squeegee it (and as long as you have a good squeegee and wipe the edge witch is going to make contact with the dry area of the window it should 98% never leave a streak) from there i take a towel wipe the edges down making sure to switch to a dry part of the towel atleast for each side then just use some steel wool for anything that was missed(bug marks little streaks) and it should be a perfect window

also while the window is wet steel wool works great to take off bug guts and also take off surface water spots and alot of it is really just taking your time with the steel wool getting down looking at it from more then one point of view so you can see all of the streaks that will show up later

wow sorry if i got a little carryed away on that one as you can see i can get a little crazy about my windows

Last edited by tasian; 03-23-2010 at 01:14 AM.
tasian is offline   Reply With Quote