View Single Post
Old 03-27-2010, 12:32 AM   #50
sparkydog

Re: Halfbreed - GMC Z71 + IH Extd Cab

Quote:
Originally Posted by 67ChevyRedneck View Post
Very cool!

Some friendly advice? In case you weren't planning on doing this, I'd set the cab in place (out of the way) and fully mount the bed the way you want it (wheel well centered, bed height, etc...). That way, you don't accidentally mount the cab "too low" and have to raise the bed floor, that is, if you didn't want to do that. Just offering up an idea. It's looking great
Yes you are spot on about the bed. Part of the mockup of the cab and the decision of how much body drop to put in will be the ride height of the bed. I am going to shave a few brackets and things under the bed but will NOT be trying to alter the floor height in the bed. So whatever is the lowest the bed will go onto the GMC frame is where the ride height of the cab will go.

However I am not going to mount up the bed just yet. That is because I already know I have to section it about 15-20 inches (lengthwise) and I'm just tired of cutting right now. So I am going to revert to "SuperEngineer" and just measure all the stackups on the bed and transfer over to the cab. Then I may go a little bit lower on the cab - I can always shim it back higher if the bed comes out different than what I measure.

Thanks for watching my back on the build Redneck!

Last edited by sparkydog; 03-27-2010 at 12:34 AM.
sparkydog is offline   Reply With Quote