View Single Post
Old 03-29-2010, 06:49 PM   #96
Alvin
Never Done?

Re: My whole braking system - thinking out loud

Quote:
Originally Posted by aggie91 View Post
They make to 4 versions of the Wilwood D52 caliper, two have 1.25" diameter pistons for a 1" and a 1.25" thick rotor. The other two have 2" diameter pistons for a 1" and a 1.25" thick rotor.

The smaller bore calipers are recommended for the rear and the larger for the front to keep proper front-to-rear bias. I got this info from the Summit catalog...
I think our facts are all in agreement. They make a caliper for a 1" thick rotor.

So now we're back to page 2.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captainfab View Post
I might just take you up on that offer. Yes I can position the caliper so that closely matches the front calipers.

I've been doing some research on the Wilwood calipers. The ones for the narrower rotors, are spec'd for a 1.04" thick rotor. The Impala SS rear rotors measure .790 thick, which is quite a bit thinner.... .250 to be exact. As of now I haven't been able to find any info on the allowable stroke of the pistons in the Wilwood calipers. I may just need to give Wilwood a call. I don't know if the thinner rotors would be an issue or not, but .250 thinner seems like a bit much. An optional rotor to look at would be the lincoln rotors. They have the 5x5 bolt pattern, are only .060 smaller in diameter than the Impala SS rotors, but they are .955 thick. At this point they look like a better match to me. The one drawback to the lincoln rotors, is that the axle flanges need to be turned down to fit inside the hat of the rotor. What do you guys think?
If CaptainFab has brackets made for Seville calipers, it should be quite simple for him to test fit the d52 in the bracket. But that doesn't necessarily mean we've solved all the problems.

But seriously dude, good thinking! I'm hoping it works out.

Ethel has been sold.
Alvin is offline   Reply With Quote