View Single Post
Old 03-29-2010, 10:22 PM   #66
BlueJeep

Re: Halfbreed - GMC Z71 + IH Extd Cab

Quote:
Originally Posted by sparkydog View Post
Yeah the basic tradeoff is:

Cab forward means I HAVE to section the hood and fenders and find a shorter steering column and change the brake pedal distance. The benefit is I get a longer bed, the "cooler" look that I want and less work to the back of the cab bottom (where it will hit if I slide the cab back).

Cab back means it looks OK with the stock IH fenders and hood. Don't have to mess with the steering column or brake pedal. DO have to mess with the bottom rear of the IH cab because it will hit the frame/fuel tank. Also means the bed will end up at 6.5 ft or so.

And on the sectioning of the nose - I know what and how I would do the hood but the more I look at the fenders and their funny little IH swoop thingy, the more I don't know a clean way to shorten it up without rebuilding the whole side.
I was looking at the fenders too wondering how you figured on doing that.

I'd also add to your list of having to change in the forward position: seat mounts for the front seats and I'm also wondering how you'd fit heat/AC under a dash if it's that far forward...

I wonder if another way to achieve the look you're after with the front would be to kinda do the opposite of what chopped top guys do with the windshield. Instead of laying the top back, what if you would lay the bottom forward, and shorten the hood as you've planned. That way your fenders could stay stock, your hood could be shortened, and the nose would look "stubbier"... Maybe you could take the "kick" out of the front of the door that way, and have the leading edge of the door be straight. Think 61-63 Chevy truck vs 64-66 Chevy truck. Hope I'm conveying what I'm thinking.

86 Suburban
88 Jeep 6.0 swap
49 Chevy truck
54 Chevy wagon

86 Suburban lowered 4/6
54 Chevy wagon
49 Chevy/s10 mix
88 Jeep Wrangler rockcrawler

Last edited by BlueJeep; 03-29-2010 at 10:27 PM.
BlueJeep is offline   Reply With Quote