View Single Post
Old 04-03-2010, 06:56 PM   #9
1949gmc

Re: '71ish K10 restoration

Just to throw this out there for you to think about, but if you're replacing the roof and the floor, how about just getting a new, clean cab? I have no idea what they go for, but as I learned in my Jimmy project, sometimes it's better to find a clean body than to try and fix your PO's patches and any other rust problems that have come up since then. I was bound and determined to fix all the rust on my Jimmy... I wanted to bring this baby back from the dead... bought every repair panel made, even bought an entire cab floor for the pieces that weren't made or to replace the repops that I didn't like. After a while, I determined that it would be faster, and cheaper, to buy a much cleaner blazer tub than to continue to fix the pile of crap that I had. Even though I had thousands in the original tub and all the pieces that I bought and the sandblasters I rented, I'm still better off with the second body. So, my advice to you would be to take a step back and see if it would be easier and faster for you to switch cabs with one that is much cleaner and easier to work with.

As for the heads, you've got a couple of options. 1) You could take yours to the machine shop and have them done, 2) you could buy a brand new pair of Vortec's from Jegs or Summit (much better flow than the old style heads, relatively cheap, small comb chamber, will need Vortec intake to go along) or 3) you could buy a set of S/R Torquer heads, I think World makes them (larger comb chamber, use your old intake, they have bolt holes in them for the accessories, about the same price as Vortec's). My machine shop guy once told me that I'd be better off buying aftermarket heads than to rebuild the ones I had. After all of his labor costs, new valves, springs, guides if needed, I would have spent more with him than if I had bought a new pair from Jegs.

Just my .02. Hope it helps ya.
1949gmc is offline   Reply With Quote