View Single Post
Old 04-05-2010, 11:15 PM   #102
highperf4x4
Account Suspended

Re: HEI Ignition Problem

Quote:
Originally Posted by nrb's70gmc View Post
UPDATE
i guess the performer carbs dont have a internal filter (i checked mine)

earlier today when i had the engine running i was under the hood and the motor stalled i noticed a puff of whitish smoke came out of the carb (fuel filter was full)

now i know the both my modules tested fine but someone also said there modules tested fine also but they turned out to be bad.

guys im so confussed,lost,upset,pissed off
im a pretty mellow guy but when things like this happen (unknown engine problem) it is so damn hard to keep my cool.
If your ignition module goes bad it won't fire at all. You could be driving down the road running just fine and it would just die and never start again.

Did you try grounding the dizzy like I suggested before?

Get some wire and run it directly from the hot cable on your battery to the hot wire connection on your dizzy. See if this makes any difference.

If you have another coil try sticking it in and see what happens. Why did you replace your coil 2 months ago?

You said you replaced the pickup coil inside your dizzy. Is it adjustable? If it is you may need to close the gap a little.

You said you set the timing for 4 degrees before tdc. Did you do this with the vacum advance disconnected and capped off and the engine idling around 800rpm? If not, fix this first and go ahead and set it for 8 degrees.

You need to check everywhere for a serious vacum leak. Vacum lines, brake booster, carb gasket (make sure carb bolts are tight) intake manifold gaskets (make sure all intake bolts are tight) spray starting fluid along the edges of the intake manifold where it meets the head with the engine running and see if your rpms jump way up.

Quote:
i blowed and sucked on the line and i could hear things moving
Your vacum advance won't cause this. If it quits working you will just lose some power and mileage but the engine will run fine.

Quote:
could a alternater going bad cause these problem?? i have a 10 gauge wire
Not unless it's grounding out. You can disconnect the alternator completely and start the truck to see if it makes any difference. The truck will run fine off the battery for a while. In fact, check all your hot wires including the battery cable and see if they are grounding or melted onto anything metal.

Quote:
if my 2 month old coil happins to be going bad could it cause the motor to run/cut out speratic like this.
Yes it can.

What's the chances of you being able to take a bunch of pics of your engine bay, carb, inside the dizzy/cap, etc?
highperf4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote