View Single Post
Old 04-24-2010, 10:30 PM   #36
Dan in Pasadena

Re: Dan's '46 - Some Small Stuff Done Today.

Just an update to this thread on a little thing I got done this weekend:

My firewall has a bunch of holes in it from previous owners over the years. I bought a nice used Hobart MIG welder, but the problem is I haven't bought a bottle, gas, welding gloves or helmet yet - a couple hundred dollars I don't need to spend right now. But I found a temporary fix; see (crappy cell) photo. Hopefully, this will keep the heat out and to a lesser degree, the noise out of the cab too (yeah, right).

The plugs are stainless steel found at the hardware store. I think they're intended for holes in stainless sinks that have an extra faucet hole. The hardware store I went to had them in 1/4" to 1-1/4" diameters. Some just snapped in and on a couple I had to bend the little tabs on the back to make them hold. For insurance, I put a dab of black RTV on the backside.

Also this weekend, I installed the hood-to-cowl weatherstripping, the bump stops at the grill, and the two final pieces of windlace retainer trips that go on the kick panels below the dash but I have no photos of this stuff yet.
Attached Images

Dan in Pasadena is offline   Reply With Quote