View Single Post
Old 05-18-2010, 08:09 AM   #7
special-K
Special Order

Re: `85 Jimmy Sierra P/W & Manul Locks

Ok Walt(wise guy),I`ll get some soon.I went by yesterday and sealed the deal verbally with no money or camera,just a hand shake.It was raining anyway.He wanted $2k and I gave him that and asked for EZ terms.I can only give him 1/2 now and will try to pay it off in 30 days.I have some work for a while,so I hope to not drag it out any longer.The motor is rebuilt w/ less than 5k on it.I was actually wanting it just for the motor in my`91 Suburban until I saw it.Those motors run about $3k to rebuild.
It wasn`t even for sale.I was going into town for sakrete and I saw him with the hood up on his Duramax.I hate to pass a guy in need,but figured I`d stop on my way back.If he was gone he didn`t need me.He was there so I stopped to help.It was cutting out on him and I offered up suggestions and checked it out.He already had a rollback coming and his mechanic was expecting it.I asked what company was coming for it and he told me it was his rollback.That`s when I realized who he was and I mentioned that Tan 6.2 Jimmy he used to have.He said he still had it and he rebuilt the motor.He said he doesn`t even use it and it was just sitting.He even let the tags run out the end of March.I was about to go get a 2wd`90 Suburban (350) for the motor and body for $1,000 and I got to thinking I could get this and keep the`Burb diesel,then sell off the the Blazer and all the Suburban stuff to pay for it all.And,maybe put the new TBI motor in my`72 with a 4L80E I have.I decided that`90 Suburban wasn`t what it was described as and back out on it.The body only had rust starting under the barn doors (mines good there),but the new GM motor w/4,500 miles turned into 6,000 (no biggy) and the heads turned out to be the old ones.He said it smoked when you first started it and that was because it had Chromoly rings that weren`t seated yet.Can you request the type of rings in a GM short block?Shouldn`t they be seated in 6,000 miles?And,doesn`t it sound like it`s the old valve seats?I didn`t need another motor to work on so I passed.Heck,I have`71 truck 350 with a recent top end on it I could toss in the`Burb,for that matter.
So,there`s another truck story for the book and now I`m getting me a li`l Jimmy that gets over 20 mpg.

GMC '67 C1500 Wideside Super Custom SWB: 327/M22/3.42 posi.........."The '67" (project)
GMC '72 K2500 Wideside Sierra Custom Camper: 350/TH350/4.10 Power-Lok..."The '72" (rolling)
Tim

"Don't call me a redneck. I'm a rough cut country gentleman"

R.I.P. ~ East Side Low Life ~ El Jay ~ 72BLUZ ~ Fasteddie69 ~ Ron586 ~ 67ChevyRedneck ~ Grumpy Old Man ~

Last edited by special-K; 05-18-2010 at 08:18 AM.
special-K is offline   Reply With Quote