Thread: Fantasy Build
View Single Post
Old 05-20-2010, 02:30 PM   #1
Steve@OldSub.com
Cancer Survivor in the making.

Fantasy Build

I'm currently layed up going through cancer treatment and will probably not see the inside of my shop for another 45 to 60 days. Then once I do get in I may not be able to work more than a few hours each week as I recover.

That is my reality today and meanwhile I've been sitting in a recliner thinking through the projects I'd be building if I were home and healthy. And describing one of those is what this project thread is about.

My wife wants a stock looking hot rod truck. Since I do '47 to '54 she is stuck with one of those. I have a strong bias toward the '54/'55 1st GMC but she likes the earlier Chevy grill better, so I'm doing a '47 to '53 for her. I have a 5-window cab from a '49 or '50 1-ton I parted out a few years ago, so I'll use that cab.

The 1-ton frame is gone even if I wanted to use it on this project, so I'm going to use a '52 GMC Suburban frame. Using this frame will mean removing the extra Suburban/panel body brackets and it will also mean swapping the GMC front crossmember for a Chevy crossmember.

My current thought is that I'll rebuild the stock front axle and springs, and I'll put a 5-lug disk kit and power steering kit on it. Out back I'll use an S-10 4x4 rear axle I already have along with one of the spring mount kits for 3-inch axles.

I'll also order up engine and transmission crossmembers to mount a small block and automatic, choosing between several tired small blocks I have to refresh one of them and mount it ahead of a TH350.

I have a collection of rusty fenders and will pick through the pile for the best pair front and rear to mount on this truck. I have the bed sides, tailgate and front from a '49 3100 but no cross sills, so I may build my own to mount the bed.

My wife is short so I think buckets seat make the most sense in something she will drive and others will ride it. I have a very ratty set of C4 Corvette buckets that will need recovering before she will use them, but with those as the anchor I think I'll do a spartan interior around them.

I don't have an appropriate set of wheels and tires for what I've described. I think the best answer is probably to order a set of artillery wheels I've seen a number of vendors offer and buy tires to suit.

What am I forgetting? I suspect I'm going to find the rear lowered dramatically by my approach and will either need to raise it or lower the front.

I do need to purchase a bunch of parts to make this happen, but they are all standard vendor things so I'm not worried about them. The parts that are old truck stuff I think all exists in my junk pile.

This is months from being more than something I think about, but I'd appreciate any feedback on the proposed build. Maybe when I actually start the project it will move much faster as a result!

Steve@OldSub.com
OldSub.com . MaxwellGarage.com . OldGasTowRigs.com
Steve@OldSub.com is offline   Reply With Quote