View Single Post
Old 07-08-2010, 12:57 PM   #50
68 TT
Still plays with trucks

Re: Anyone else done with Oriley Auto parts?

Quote:
Originally Posted by 92470 View Post
I have to say that I have never had a problem with any parts store I've dealt with. O'Reilly, Autozone, Carquest, NAPA, Advance, dealership, etc. That's because I know my vehicles and the parts that go on them. I have found that all have about the same prices and brands. There is a lot of choices, so I go where the price is right, or brand is right. I have never walked into anywhere and said, "do you have this...?". We all have the internet obviously and access to a world of information, including the stores websites. I do my homework beforehand and make sure I have a correct part number, best price, and check inventory on line, or call them. Then I show up, give them the facts, and I'm out. I open the box, look at it, make sure it's right, and leave. I don't stand around a B.S. with them, and am courteous and quick. I have never had anywhere refuse to return a part for me either, electronic or not. My Dad owned a parts store and a dealership when I was a kid, and I worked in the parts store during the 80's. There were no computers for me to look parts up on, only a mile long row of parts books. I learned a lot this way. Now days, the stores and employees rely on the computers to give them the info they need. This is just the world today. Me spending a bit of time at home during my research, saves myself, the parts guy, and other customers time and frustration. Saying all of this, I do wish the parts computers existed in the 80's when I worked at my Dad's Carquest. Thumbing through all those books sucked!
I like the feature some of the sites have where you can see what other vehicles the part fits. I use it all the time to find useful donors for parts at the pull it yourself wrecking yards. Saves a ton of time at the wrecking yard waiting for somebody to be able to run an interchange for you, if the part is even one they can do that for.

Never would have guessed that the only other matching donor for a fourth gen F-body power window motor was an Astro van.
68 Camaro SS / RS 500hp 439 inch roller cam big block 4L80E
79 Malibu TPI 350 4L60 w/ Z28 steering & sway bars
68 TT is offline   Reply With Quote