View Single Post
Old 07-17-2010, 04:28 PM   #2584
Alan's Classic
1 thing at a time is progress.

Re: Project Vitamin C-10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Palf70Step View Post
I am trying to find parts for my tilt today. Dang I know I hand them just the other day....well 6 months or so ago. I know if I buy new pieces, I'll find it the minute the order ships.

Good Luck on your find Alan. Can't wait to see you tackle the hood.
Thanks Bill, I hope you have better luck than I have looking for mine.

After a little thinking time I thought why not use the old hood shell to support the hood that I'm working on. I figured both of them together would support each other. It seemed to work out pretty good.

The old shell for support

I drilled the spot welds and busted them loose with a air hammer very carefully. Then use a block of wood and 3 pound hammer to knock it out of the folded over area.

I then took a wide screw driver and opened the flange up that I knocked it out of so I could slide the new one back in. I put the new one in temporarily so I could see how it was going to act. It worked out pretty well.

Then it was one to patching the sides of the hood. I used some old cowl extensions I had left over. They have the perfect contour for the hood.

One side I laid the piece I cut out of the hood for a pattern.

Then tacked it in. I had to be carefull not to weld the reinforcement in place with my tacks, since it will be coming back out later for blasting, prime and paint.

The other side of the hood I had to reverse the way I made the pattern. I cut the new piece larger then used it as a pattern then clamped in place and made my cut on the hood. This is where it is at now.

I will be removing the reinforcement and cleaning up my welds on the inside. Then I will paint the inside of the hood and the reinforcements then put the reinforcement back in. Yes when I weld it back in I will have some burnt areas from welding, but at least there will be some paint in the areas that can't be seen and impossible to get paint on. I will repair the burnt areas when I repaint the inside of the hood.
Alan's Classic is offline   Reply With Quote