View Single Post
Old 08-06-2010, 12:25 AM   #5
AirSpeed

Re: What are my options on a hidden stereo?

I went ahead and cut the dash to fit a CD player in it, I didnt see any reason not to, it's not like I was cutting up an old Ferrari. I mounted 3 amps in the area behind the passenger side of the seat, against the rear of the cab in the hollow area next to the gas tank. I mounted the amps to a piece of 3/4 particle board that I painted flat black, wired them all up so I could just slide it in as one unit and remove for any kind of work. I mounted two ten inch subs under the seat in sealed boxes, I didnt want to use shallow subs so I made the boxes as shallow as possible by cutting a hole in the rear panel so the magnet would fit inside the rear panel, I sealed the area around the magnet and the rear panel with some closed cell foam. My door panels had already been cut for some six inch drivers so I went ahead and mounted a pair of mid range drivers in there, I first made a small sealed cabinet out of the bottom of a plastic antifreeze jug, It was a quick and easy solution!(I wouldnt use a jug for any low freq drivers) I used the bottom half of the jug so it would fit tight and hold it'self in place. I folded the jug up and slid it through the hole and unfolded it once it was in place. I then used a 12" square piece of acoustic foam to fill the area, it dampens the mid range perfectly. The jug also prevents moisture from getting to the driver.
I bought a pair of surface mounted tweeters and attached them to the area just above the air conditioner vents with some double sided tape. I couldnt get myself to mount them with a screw through my fresh paint. To control all the amps and drivers I used an under dash preamp/crossover that has three RCA inputs and outputs wired between the head unit and amps.
All this turned out to be the nicest sounding stereo I have installed in a long time.
AirSpeed is offline   Reply With Quote