Thread: 1962 Chevy C20
View Single Post
Old 08-08-2010, 02:50 PM   #14
Apollo 62C20

Re: 1962 Chevy C20

Light Switch rebuild

These switches are't too expensive to replace (about $30) but many times they are malfunctioning just due to corrosion of the contacts and the replacements switches can be of lesser quality. Symptoms include flickering dash lights, dim or non-working dome light etc. Here are a few pictures...I will try to describe the process as best as I can.

The first step is removing the switch from the dash. Sounds easy but you have to know the "trick" to remove the pull handle. Simply push in the little pin with the spring around it (bottom of switch in first pic) . This will unlock the knob so you can remove it and get to the nut that holds the switch to the dash.

Next disconnect wiring connector from the switch and remove from dash.

Pry the hold tabs out on the metal switch casing (top piece in parts picture). and disassemble the switch. Be gentle as older metal can get brittle and pay attention how the pieces come apart (should be pretty straight ahead) so you can get it back together.

Clean all of your parts, avoiding harsh cleaners like brake/carb cleaner as these will damage the plastic. Water and soap will work fine.

Use a very fine sand paper to remove corrosion from all of the coper connectors. Very carefully do the same for the coiled wire (close up pic) on the front of the switch...this is the variable resistor that dims the dash.

Lube the contacts with a di-electric grease (I avoid WD-40 because I have heard it attracts dirt) and reassemble switch...Re-install and you are good to go!

Now your light switch will feel good and operate like it was supposed to. Keep in mind that not all switches will be repairable. If the contacts are torn, burnt or any plastic is cracked or broken I would just spend the cash...

Help this helps some beginners out there...DG
Attached Images

Apollo 62C20 is offline   Reply With Quote