View Single Post
Old 08-20-2010, 08:06 PM   #1
dwmurry2006

setting timing in 68 c-10 with 250

Ok so I got my other hei distributor from skip white and forgot to put #1 at tdc. before I pulled the distributor out of the block.

I brought #1 cyl to tdc compression stroke. Timing mark on balancer lined right up with 0 on timing tab on gear cover. Then set distributor in pointing rotor to #1 spark plug hole and set the cap on and wired it up. I fired it up and adjusted distributor til the idle sounded nice. However when i shot it with the timing light, I couldn't see the timing mark. so i retarded it back til the timing mark was at about 10* on the tab. Took her for a spin and it was real hesitant and back fired alot like she was too retarded. So i advanced it back to where it sounded good at idle and didnt back fire and she felt real good lots of power. Hit it with the timing light at its at like 30*??? the timing mark on the balancer is about at 12 o'clock straight up and down. My buddy said i didnt get the distributor set in right.
I pulled the cap with the engine at tdc compression stroke, rotor pointing right at #1 spark plug, the poll on the cap is correct with the right wire going to the right cylinder.
So I have absolutely no idea what my timing is set at.

I looked at the inside of the cap and theyre firing right on the edge of the brass terminals. not near the middle, like right on the edge.

I'm guessing my other problem is related to this... I can't run my vacuum advance at all. When i plug in the vacuum line and give it gas it starts running really rough and like its loosing fire or something. and then as I let off the accelerator it lets off a huge backfire. If I slam the gas wide open it revs up just fine, You just can't ease up on it or cruise. Something is not right and I need to figure it out.

I would really appreciate any help. You guys are all very knowledgeable and I thank you all for the help you've provided thus far.
dwmurry2006 is offline   Reply With Quote