View Single Post
Old 08-22-2010, 06:07 PM   #59
hotrod_991

Re: 77 longbed "overbudget" build

after getting the cam out and getting the motor rolled over I removed the oil pan being gentle not to scratch the block with my screw driver. Realised how beat to heck my oil pan is so that is something else that needs to be considered to replace. Anyway so i start pulling main caps cause my cam has a wipped lobe and had eating almost 2 lifteres now so logically the metal has to go some were and since it wasnt in the oil ( I changed out soon as I noticed something wrong with the motor). Well no breaker bar or reverse torque wrench meant me with my trust 3/8 rachet and a box end wrench on the end of it and leaning my body into it. "crack!" they all come lose as i go from one to the other. That is the best wrench I have ever owned when it siezes up i smack it on the concrete and it works again. well back to story at hand. I start pullign mains and low and behold there is some major scaring on the bearings. As you can see in the pics i wasnt far from grenading my pride and joy. The scores are so deep that I can drag my nail across the serface and hook the lines and pull the cap over. Well saw that and emediatly got the flash light and started inspecting my crank. some how I lucked out and there is no scoring on the crank. Thank you bearing for taking one for the team. That is as far as I have gotten tonight I need a 12 point socket to get the rod caps off and will take the oil pump apart next and check the gears and filter for metal also. I am confident that with new bearings cam lifters and gaskets I saved my motor and will be able to enjoy it for some. Thanks for reading all.
Attached Images

"of course it will hold!, I welded it!"

1977 c10 under knife for full rebuild, 5.3l 4l60e drive rain swap, replacement frame and green repaint
hotrod_991 is offline   Reply With Quote