View Single Post
Old 09-11-2010, 09:39 PM   #22
Street Lethal '72

Re: '72 - Beginning to End Thread

Decided to get the ball rolling on this today. I guess we are going to do a frame off.. I hate to see the body on this truck go to waste, but the entire cab is rotted junk, covered in about a solid inch of bondo (which I have mentioned).. I pulled the bed off today, on a whim to get something done. I found the tool box door is actually still there, but it was sheet metal screwed shut, and bondo'd over. The lock assembly and everything is still there.. what a waste. The auxiliary fuel tank is still there, but rotted. The fill hole for that was fiberglass patched on the inside, bondo outside.

I need to clean out the garage, and I think we are going to be getting a complete new bed. Will be on the hunt for a cab soon, and fortunately most of the front clip is ok (LH fender and rad support needed).

So, back to what I did today.. I pulled the bed. I had no help, and had to do the job myself. The rims have locks, and there is no key in the truck.. which is why the tires have not been replaced (PO mailing the key).

So, how does one man pull a bed off a truck? With a couple cold beers, and one inch at a time:

I did have the help of a stick at one point:

A rotted bed mount post, and the unfinished exhaust.. not sure where/how to finish running this (my first time with one of these trucks).

I also am wondering if when I pull these bags, if there is still spring cups there for the new springs.. any ideas?

We also decided we like how these tires sit at near stock height, we may change the 4/6 plan we had.. and do a 2/3.

All in all, I am still happy with the frame. Covered in rust? ..sure, bad rust? ..no. After I make a hole in the garage (my kids skate ramps need to go!), the cab is coming off and we are going to start restoring the frame and components.

Last edited by Street Lethal '72; 09-11-2010 at 09:51 PM.
Street Lethal '72 is offline   Reply With Quote